Year 1 - Miss Tose
Welcome to Year 1! This year we have 18 wonderful children in our class and this page is where we will share our learning journey with you all! Here you will find reminders, photographs, examples of work and you will see just how much fun we have in Year 1 whilst learning important information and new skills.
- Monster Phonics reading books and sharing books are changed when your child reads their book 3x at home. Please remember to sign the home link book each time your child reads!
- These books should be brought into school everyday so books can be changed and notes can be added to your child's home link book.
- Children are expected to read at least three time per week with an adult at home
- Remember to also read books for pleasure! Bedtime stories are the best and develop your child's understanding, vocabulary and language!
- If you would like to know more about Monster Phonics click here
- PE will be on a Wednesday, and the children can wear their school PE kit to school. You can also bring your PE kit into school if you would prefer your child to change in school.
- No jewellery to be worn! Please remove earring studs on the morning of PE.
- Please remember to tie long hair up!
November 2023: Healthy Teeth Workshop
November 2023: Bird Workshop at Backhouse Park
We recently visited Backhouse Park to take part in a birds workshop in connection with International Community Organisation of Sunderland. We were taken around the park and used a very special telescope to spot different types of birds. We spotted Geese, green parakeets and wood pigeons.
October 2023 Visit to St Aidan's Church
Year 1 had an amazing time visiting St Aidan's church to learn all about Baptism! Father David showed us all of the objects he would use during a baptism. We smelt the oils, held the candle and looked down into the font. We watched as Father David baptised Dave the Minion! We learnt lots of new information and came back to school full of knowledge!
October 2023 Angela's Ark
Angela came to visit Year 1 with her animals! This linked to our Science where we were learning about animal groups and their diets. Angela was a fountain of knowledge! She told us which animal belonged to which group, where they live and what they eat. We got to hold each animal and were very brave when holding the snake!
September 2023: Dear Zoo
The first book we will be delving into is Dear Zoo. This is a familiar book for all of the children as they will have read this book in Reception! We will be learning lots of new adjectives to describe animals and will be practising using full stops in our sentences. We will link the book to Science, where we learn all about mammals, amphibians, birds, fish and reptiles. We will also explore what a carnivore, herbivore and omnivore is! Here is a run down of what we will be learning in our other subjects too:
Maths: Place Value to 10
Geography: Our local area
Art: Drawing- Pablo Picasso
PE: Dance (a Lion King special!)
Computing: Mouse and Keyboard Skills
Music: Introducing beat
September 2023: Backhouse Park
As part of our Science curriculum, we learn about the changes we can spot in each season. We decided to go to Backhouse Park to see what signs of Autumn we could spot. We found leaves had began changing colour and falling from the trees. We found conkers and acorns and saw squirrels foraging for food for the winter.